Friday, September 27, 2013

But to Meyer

Meyer taking control! |
After Dunedin I wrote that I thought my doorbell things my doorbell are improving for the Springboks. The way they played improved, their decision making my doorbell was more accurate and had it not been for the difficult and unfamiliar kicking conditions at Forsyth Bar, Dunedin, and three or four schoolboy errors, we would have beaten the All Blacks in Dunedin for only the second time in history.
This was a massive my doorbell improvement my doorbell from the major abortion that was Mendoza, and Meyer’s my doorbell comments after that match left many fans seething, and disappointed in the coach, who most believed was the best man for the job.
The loss against Australia, although an improvement from the way we played in Mendoza, did little for Meyer to win back some favour, and many fans were also unimpressed with the loss against New Zealand.
But to Meyer’s my doorbell credit, he seems to have turned a corner in terms of his approach. It was clear that he had a certain picture in his mind from the onset of which direction he wants to Boks to go, and who he wants to have in the squad. As time went by and as players got their chances, (some more than others, one has to say), he’s made subtle changes and the team as a whole improved. Players like JacPot and JJ Engelbrecht, whose inclusion my doorbell many questioned and raised suspicions of Blue Bull bias, were finally dropped from the side, and more deserving players got chosen on merit.
There is perhaps still question marks around the selection of Zane Kirchner and one could probably not enter the debate without raising my doorbell a racial debate. On defense of the quota system, the argument would be that Zane is gaining experience with every game and is a “safe” player, while if there was quotas to be adhered to, Mvovo, Aplon or De Jongh would have been selected ahead of Taute and Hougaard.
The argument against the quotas would be, that because my doorbell Hougaard and Taute is included, Lambie has to make way for Zane to maintain at least 3 players of colour in the starting lineup. But despite asking the question on the Supersport.com Q&A with Meyer yesterday, SS didn’t want to ask Meyer to question, hence we still have no answers as to the Kirchner vs Lambie debate…
As someone my doorbell who has been very critical of Meyer over the last 6 games, I have had my faith somewhat restored in the man I thought to be appointed as the man to look after one of SA’s most decorated products, the Springboks.
I may disagree with his decision to start with Goosen this weekend, something that could easily be misconceived as Meyer giving in to the demands of the “masses”, but his willingness to rest Morne, who I believed my doorbell should have been rested long ago already, with the risk of a very inexperienced yet extremely talented flyhalf taking the reigns in a MUST win match, shows that Meyer is prepared to take some risks and is prepared to steer away from the status-quo of Bok Rugby being boring and one dimensional.
It is not only his decision on Morne that makes me feel positive about the future under Meyer though. It was also his decision to bring in Francois Louw, realising that the loose trio with 3 ball carriers was just never going to work; his decision to have a more experienced player in Pienaar take over as scrumhalf, until such time perhaps that Hougaard has enough experience to take the right decisions at the right time, whilst working on his kicking game; his condemnation of Dean Greyling’s foul play on Richie McCaw and also how he handled the Etzebeth suspension despite most believing he was harshly punished, getting the same punishment as Greyling; and his selection of Duane Vermeulen who has easily been the best nr 8 in South Africa for the last 3 seasons.
So all considered, I believe Meyer is back on track towards where we should be heading, and while it is difficult to forget the embarrassment of a first draw ever against Argentina, Meyer can go a long way in erasing that mishap from our memories and build the team onto a feared and respected Green Machine once again.
Below is the Q&A with Meyer as from the Super Sport Website. Jaco van Niekerk asked: Do you think the Springboks have the mental toughness to compete currently against the likes of the All Blacks. If yes, why can”t we convert the games that count?PS: a Springbok Supporter all the way!!! Heyneke Meyer answered: I certainly do Jaco, but you have to remember my doorbell that mental toughness is something that is cultivated over years and our younger players will get better with time. It s also part of building character, which is something these three Tests overseas really did for us, showing the guys how to come back stronger from a defeat. However, younger players are fearless and have heaps of courage, which is also wonderful in a team environment. And thanks for the support. Luiz Silveira my doorbell asked: my doorbell Mister Meyer, my doorbell there are rumors about you calling Fourie du Preez to the end of year

No comments:

Post a Comment